Thursday, May 26, 2011

Putting my money where my mouth is

If you've wandered around this blog a little bit, you've probably noticed that I am big on creativity.  No matter who is getting creative, I am into it.  I especially like the feeling when I am inspired to make something, that rush of an idea, the itch to get started... 

Now I just have to work on my follow through.  I tend to complain that I have no time to do, well, anything, but that isn't exactly true.  I have two small children, and a household to maintain, but there is some time for creating, if I can just get into the routine of doing it.  April, over at Blacksburg Belle, suggests that I get up earlier.  That is a very good suggestion which I have been fighting for awhile, staying up late and complaining that I can't go to bed yet, I haven't gotten anything done (which I would do in the morning, if only I got to bed on time...)  And because I am not accomplishing anything with my old way of doing things, I am going to switch.  Today. 

This morning, although I did not get up early, I snuck (sneaked?) in some creative time with a sketchbook, coming up with a girls sweater design for fall.  I've been meaning to do that for a long time, and finally just sat down and did it.  The big kid was at preschool at the time, and the little kid was at babysitting at the gym.  I shortened my workout, got dressed, and sketched without any interruptions before picking up the little one.  Boy, did that feel good!  I am happy with the design, and now I can go to bed early, and get up early tomorrow.

On a separate note, sometimes the well of inspiration runs a little dry.  We all have that problem sometimes.  I've written about it before, and I'm gonna do it again.  I had an idea that it is easier to be inspired by something someone else says, maybe because those words come from a different brain (one that isn't in a dry spell?)  So Cheryl and I came up with inspiring each other, to keep the creativity ramped up. 

I figure if I post something inspiring on this blog, and you're reading this blog, then you can get into the game too.  Feel free to use the inspiration notes that I'll be posting for your own creative endeavors, whatever they are.  I'm sure you can find a way to do that.  You're so creative!

Inspiration Notes for Today:
I saw someone reading written music today.  She wasn't playing music at the time, she was reading the music and making some notes.  Written music makes me think of, well, music, even though I cannot read written music. 

Outside it is hot and humid  - for this part of the US anyway.  Summer is almost here!  For some reason I want to listen to the same music each summer.  Beach music.  I listen to it and I become a teenager again, a prettier, younger, and (in my mind) fitter version of myself.  When I hear Love Shack by the B52s, Dancing Queen by Abba, or songs from the movie Grease, I need to crank up the volume and sing along!  These songs' lyrics are feasts for the imagination:

...see a faded sign at the side of the road that says 16 miles...

...Friday night and the lights are low, Looking out for a place to go...
...Took her bowling in the arcade
   We went strolling, drank lemonade
   We made out under the dock
   We stayed out 'till ten o'clock...

Just reading the lyrics makes me think of the hot sand and faded colors during the day, and the boardwalk lit up like fireworks at night.

Do with the notes what you will.  Leave me a comment  - tell me if this is inspiring at all, or if I'm totally missing the mark.   Or leave lyrics from your favorite summer song!

No comments:

Post a Comment