Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Man the Oars!

dol*drums ^pl.n. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)

1. A period of stagnation or slump.
2. A period of depression or unhappy listlessness.
3. A region of the ocean near the equator, characterized by calms, light winds, or squalls.
4. The weather conditions characteristic of these regions of the ocean.

Ever get to the middle of a large project and get stuck there? Seems like forever since you cast on, and yet, you don't seem to be nearing completion, no matter how much you knit. You've hit the knitting doldrums. Hours and hours of knitting don't convince the tape measure to show even a little progress. Put it away and let some time pass. Work on something else. Chances are, when you pick the large project back up, after a couple of rows, you'll be right back where you started. Hoping against hope that sometime soon you will. finally. be. done.

I am stalled on these shawls. They are being knit in Interlacements "Rick Rack" yarn, using Interlacements "Feather and Fan" pattern. Great pattern, lovely yarn, not difficult to knit at all. They joined the stash in the summer of 2005, and I started them right away. That's a year and a half, folks! Yes, I'm working on two at one time. No, I would NOT recommend you attempt this. I picked them back up as part of my commitment to StashAlong, and finish my UFO's. I still love them, just wish they were done.

When your ship is stuck in the doldrums, it is only a matter of time until you get pretty darn cranky. With the knitting doldrums, shopping for new projects helps. Unfortunately, I am de-stashing right now, so that outlet is closed to me.

When your ship is stuck in the doldrums, there's only way to get out. Keep rowing (sorry for the totally unintentional knitting pun) until you catch some wind and can sail out. So, no matter what happens, I am determined to keep knitting on them until the shawls are done, and I can steer my knitting to more exciting seas.

No comments:

Post a Comment